This is a re-post of a very popular article…
Have you ever felt as though you are burning candle from both ends trying to get everything properly handled, when you’ve done your best and keep trying every single day, still it is not so in other people’s eyes? You don’t feel appreciated furthermore you are even to blame for most things?
You are not alone.
Allowed yourself to feel the discouragement (who wouldn’t?), but do not be discouraged. Never give up on doing things you know is right. It is also crucial that you do not put yourself down and start telling yourself you are not good enough. Acknowledgement and appreciation from people is good, but it is not compulsory as you can not and will never be able to force opinions into people’s mind. Trying to do so will only drain your energy and rob yourself off your happiness.
Everybody has their own different view points and understanding. We all see things in parts. It is in vain to expect anyone at all to understand you fully. In most cases, this doesn’t mean you are not loved, but rather they have different way of looking at things.
Here are some things you can do to lift up your spirit;
- Forgive: It hurts to be blamed for things that you’ve put all your effort into, but holding on to the feeling will only weight heavily on your mind. Let it go.
- Look out the window: Is it sunny outside? Have all the plants and trees outside changed colours and look even more beautiful? Take your mind away from the moment of hurt. Pay attention instead to things around you and open your eyes to beautiful things.
- Ignore your point of view for a moment: If the other person is someone you care about, it is worth trying to look at the situation from where he/she stands. There’re many sides to the story. Bits and pieces of life here and there can add up to something unpleasant. Don’t forget that we human beings came to this world with a whole lot of emotions, and none of us know how to fully control them.
- Write: Put pen to paper. At the point where you feel you might explode if you don’t vent it all out. Go ahead and do just that (Don’t forget to tear them to pieces and throw them away after).
- Go for a walk: Find a place you know there’s a spot where you can easily shout out at the top of your lung without anybody hearing it. Take a long walk there and calm yourself down. If you still have the urge to cry out, go to that spot and shout it out.
- Understand the whole point: Understand that the worse thing you can do to hurt yourself is to depend your emotions on man, have expectation on man, and rely completely on man to satisfy you emotionally. Your peace should come from ‘you’ and the understanding that ‘God loves you and he knows every good thing you’ve done.’ All your good intentions, HE knows and appreciates them.’
Go on doing things with good intentions and with all you have. You are not doing them for people to praise you; you are doing them so you know you’ve done your best. It is only then that other people’s opinion can no longer hurt you.